A delicious and fresh salad, made with carrot, courgette and avocado. Perfect for summer!
I think I was a bit premature in getting excited about the arrival of summer here in the UK. I packed away the slow cooker, dug out the popsicle molds and salad was back on the menu again. But it seems like my excitement may have been a tad premature as the temperature has plummeted again and it’s blowing a gale out there today!
In my eagerness to embrace all 72 hours of summer that we had I made this Carrot, Courgette & Avocado Salad. It’s light and refreshing, perfect for when the sun decides to make a reappearance.
I love nothing more than a nice salad for dinner during the warmer months but it’s not always the easiest thing to convince kids to try. Luckily my fussy eater loves raw carrot so I was at least able to encourage her to try some of this salad. Carrots are naturally very sweet so this will help to make the salad more palatable to little people.
The dressing has a nice balance of sweetness from the honey and acidity from the lime juice but if you are worried that your children won’t like it then you can easily serve it on the side instead.
I’m looking forward to making this salad again when summer finally decides to make a reappearance. It’ll make a great accompaniment to grilled meat or fish and will be a definite winner to bring to barbecues.
If you want to make this salad ahead then I would wait to cut and add the avocado until you are ready to serve or else it will start to discolour. I would also wait to add the dressing until serving to keep the ingredients as fresh and crisp as possible.
- For the salad:
- 1 bag (approx 100g salad leaves)
- 1 courgette (zucchini)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp lime juice
- Place the salad leaves into a large salad bowl and put to the side and wash the other vegetables under running water.
- Grate the courgette / zucchini and place it between several sheets of kitchen paper. Press down firmly with your hands to draw as much of the moisture as possible from the courgette and then transfer it to a large bowl.
- Grate the carrot in on top of the courgette, add the chopped avocado, red pepper and sesame seeds and mix it all together.
- Make the dressing by placing all the ingredients in a jar with a lid. Give it a good shake and then pour the dressing over the carrot mix.
- Finally add this to the bowl of salad leaves and serve immediately.