Vegetable Cookies?! A delicious breakfast cookie recipe, packed full of healthy oats, carrots, apples and banana. Great for picky eaters!
Breakfast is one of those meals that can get very same-y. When everyone is rushing to eat and get out the door in the morning it’s all too easy to turn to the same old staples. My fussy eater would eat toast and jam everyday given the chance but I try to mix up what she is eating and bring a bit more variety to our family breakfasts.
My new favourite breakfast recipe are these Healthy Oat Cookies! They are made with a combination of whole wheat flour and oats. Both of these, being whole grains, are packed full of slow releasing carbs which help keep kids fuller for longer and stabilize blood sugars. I used coconut oil in my recipe but butter would work well too.
The cookies are also packed full of grated carrot and apple, making them a great way to sneak in some fruits and veggies for picky eaters! They are sweetened with honey and a ripe mashed banana. The chocolate chips are of course optional so please feel free to leave these out if you wish.
If you are running late in the mornings then these cookies make the perfect grab-and-go breakfast and are also great for an after-school snack. They are super soft which makes them ideal for toddlers to munch on too!
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 medium banana
- Optional: ⅓ cup – chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with grease-proof paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate smaller bowl beat the egg. Add the melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract and stir well. Add this mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the grated carrot, grated apple and mashed banana and again stir until everything is well mixed together. If using the chocolate chips, add now.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch sized balls. The dough should make approximately 20 balls. Place each on the cookie sheet and press down lightly with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.