Use up leftover mashed potato and vegetables by turning them into Bubble & Squeak Fritters!
Hello! Has Santa been?!! I hope everyone has had a very enjoyable Christmas Day. If you’re like me then you have probably woken up this morning regretting the mountain of food that you consumed over the past couple of days. I attempted a run this morning to blow the cobwebs away but could literally feel every piece of turkey, cheese, christmas cake and chocolate that I’ve eaten weighing me down!
And talking about mountains of food, who else is left with a ridiculous amount of leftovers? I must have thought we were catering for 20 yesterday and I now have plates and bowls full of turkey, ham, potatoes and vegetables in the fridge. Reheated leftovers can be a little dull but I have two recipes to share today that will help you to create delicious new meals out of unappealing leftovers.
First up are these Bubble & Squeak Fritters. Boxing Day Bubble & Squeak is a British favourite. But rather than throwing it all in a pan I thought I could make it a bit more appealing by frying it into individual fritters and serving them in a big stack. This will hopefully make those veggies a bit more exciting for the kids too!
I used carrot and parsnips in this recipe but you can add whatever vegetables you have left over. The grated courgette is a twist on the classic Bubble & Squeak but it adds a nice bit of texture and freshness to the fritters.
You can also liven up the flavour of these fritters depending on who you are feeding. This recipe is perfect for kids but if you are feeding adults you could add chilli sauce or chilli flakes or maybe a spoonful of horseradish. It’s really up to you!
If you are looking for ways to use up that leftover turkey and ham then stick around as I have a delicious Turkey & Ham Kale Salad coming up later!
- 1 courgette
- 3 cups mashed potato
- 2 cups cooked vegetables (I used carrots and parsnips)
- 4 tbsp flour (can use gluten free)
- ½ cup cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil or butter for cooking
- creme fraiche and spring onions to garnish
- Grate the courgette and press between several sheets of kitchen paper to remove as much water as possible..
- Place the grated courgette in a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well until everything has combined.
- Heat oil or butter in a frying pan and add a large spoonful of the mixture to the pan. Flatten into a roundish fritter shape about ½ inch thick. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. You will need to fry the fritters in batches, depending on how big your frying pan is. I was able to fry 4 at a time in mine.
- Serve warm with a dollop of creme fraiche and some chopped spring onions.