These frittata fingers make the best finger food for baby led weaning and toddlers!
Cooking for babies is HARD work! With my daughter I returned to work when she was 6 months old so I pretty much outsourced the majority of her weaning to her childminders from Monday to Friday. At the weekend I muddled along with a mixture of purees, fingers foods and those squeezy packages of baby food (don’t judge!)
When my son came along I was lucky to have more time at home to learn how to cook for a baby and to experiment with different flavours and textures.
Although I started with puree and mashed food with my son we quite quickly moved on to baby led weaning. It wasn’t a conscious decision as such, my son just seemed to prefer to feed himself from an early age. And desperate to come up with filling and nutritious meal ideas I started making these frittata fingers.
They are tasty yet mild, perfect for little taste buds. I used broccoli and courgette / zucchini in my recipe but I often use other veg depending on what I have in my fridge. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover cooked veg that you have hanging round!
What I also love about these frittata fingers is that they are super soft and perfect for babies with just a few or even no teeth.
For UK readers – I’ve only included the measurements for this recipe in cups and not grams because I only ever use mug measurements for these. A standard sized cup or small mug will work just fine!
- ½ tbsp oil
- 75g / 1 cup grated courgette / zucchini
- 50g / 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 3 medium eggs
- 25g / ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp plain flour (can use gluten free or normal)
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs or oregano
- Preheat to oven 180c / 350f. Grease and line a baking dish with parchment paper. I used a 8in / 20cm square dish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the courgette and broccoli and fry lightly for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, cheese, flour and herbs together. Add the cooked vegetables and mix until well combined.
- Pour this mixture into the lined dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the frittata to cool before cutting into fingers or squares.