Last week I posted these Caprese Skewers and mentioned how I seemed to be putting so much food on sticks these days. This week is no exception as I have these lovely Balsamic Chicken & Tomato Skewers (or lollipops as they are called in my house!) to share. The stick trick definitely seems to be working and gets my fussy eater even so slightly more excited about sitting down at the dinner table.
You all know by now that I love quick and easy mid-week meals. This recipe does require marinating for at least 2 hours but sometimes I do that in the morning and leave the chicken and tomatoes in the fridge soaking up all that lovely balsamic sauce all day. The rice salad is cold so you could easily make this ahead of time too, so all you will need to do is skewer and grill the chicken and tomatoes.
When I first made these I was a little unsure if my fussy eater would like the marinade, simply because of the amount of balsamic vinegar in it. However, the acidic taste of the vinegar disappears and you are left with quite a subtle sweet glaze.
This dish is so versatile. You can change the meat to whatever takes your fancy, use prawns instead or even go for an all-veggie option. The ingredients of the Wild Rice Salad can be changed around to suit your likes or whatever you happen to have in the fridge. And if you want some extra sauce you can transfer the leftover marinade into a pan on the hob, bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until it thickens up.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- black pepper to taste
- 300g Basmati & Wild Rice
- 75g broad beans
- 1 pepper
- 2 scallions
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the chicken and tomatoes. Cover with cling film and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice and broad beans according to the package instructions. Cut the peppers and scallions into bite sized pieces. When the rice and beans are cooked, run under cold water to cool and then add the remaining vegetables. Garnish with parsley.
- Meanwhile thread the chicken and tomatoes onto the skewers and cook under a medium grill. Continue to baste the skewers with the leftover marinade as they cook. The chicken should take approximately 6-7 minutes each side and the tomatoes approximately 2-3 minutes each side.