Delicious and so easy to make; Baked Camembert stuffed with Black Garlic & Thyme and topped with Balsamic Sun-Dried Tomatoes
If you are on any kind of diet you may want to look away now as I take no responsibility for anyone diving head first into a wheel of camembert! But with Easter coming up I thought this would make the perfect quick and easy starter (appetizer) if you have guests round for lunch. Similarly if you are catering for a crowd put a couple of these out with some crudities and you will have a guaranteed party food winner.
First up lets talk about the Black Garlic. Sainsbury’s kindly sent me a bulb of black garlic from Balsajo to try. I was a little unsure how to use it at first so decided to open it up and try it. And oh my…. what a surprise I got! Black garlic is essentially normal white garlic that has been aged. The cloves are soft, almost jelly like. The strong and overpowering smell and taste that you get with raw white garlic is gone, instead leaving a lovely subtle and mellow garlic flavour, almost like it has been roasted. It is also slightly sweet with a sticky caramel-like texture to it. Absolute bliss!
I am a huge cheese fan and love nothing more than flavouring baked camembert with some crushed garlic. The raw garlic can however be a little overpowering against the delicate flavours of the cheese but within seconds of trying black garlic I knew it would make the perfect accompaniment.
I scored the camembert and stuffed the sliced cloves into the cheese, along with some fresh thyme. I thought the sweet flavours of the black garlic would go really well with some balsamic sun-dried tomatoes so I added these to the top and finished the whole thing off with a balsamic glaze. I served it with the remainder of the black garlic along with some toasted ciabatta.
I can’t wait to experiment some more with black garlic. Next to try on my list is with some spaghetti and olive oil for a really simple dinner. I also think it would be amazing on pizza. The possibilities are endless!
**DISCLAIMER** I was asked by Sainsbury’s to create a recipe using black garlic and was compensated for my time spent doing so.
- 1 x 250g / 8oz round of camembert (boxed)
- 1 bulb black garlic
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50g / ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ tbsp of oil (from bottle or from jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- balsamic glaze to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f.
- Remove the camembert from all its plastic packaging and place it back into the box, leaving the lid off. Score the top of the camembert with a sharp knife.
- Remove 3 cloves of black garlic from the bulb and slice each into 4 or 5 pieces. Push these into the camembert, along with some thyme.
- Cut the sun-dried tomatoes into smaller pieces and mix with the oil and balsamic vinegar. Place half of the tomatoes in a bowl to one side. Pile the remaining half on top of the camembert and top with a few sprigs of thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Stick a knife into the centre of the camembert to be sure that it has melted enough. If it hasn't, return to the oven for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the camembert with balsamic glaze and serve with toasted ciabatta, the remaining sun-dried tomatoes and black garlic.