What do you do when the kids are screaming for dessert but you’ve got nothing prepared? Or you’ve finally sat down on the sofa after a long day and you’re really craving a comforting pud? This 5 minute microwave bread and butter is the answer! It can be whipped up in a mere minutes with no fancy ingredients. It will also use up that leftover bread hanging around that would probably otherwise end up in the bin.
Ok, so this pudding isn’t going to win awards for the healthiest dessert out there (or the prettiest for that matter!) but we all need a treat now and then. I like the fact that you can make just as much as you need. The temptation with making a big dish of bread and butter pudding is that you’ll end up eating the whole thing (well I do anyway!). But this recipe is just perfect for two so you can half it if its just you.
My fussy eater and I gobbled these down as an afternoon treat earlier this week. It is wonderful gooey chocolately strawberry delight! Do you have any favourite microwave puds? I’ve got a chocolate mug cake which I’ll be sharing next week too so look out for that!
*EDIT* I’ve just realised I’m calling this Bread and BUTTER pudding but it doesn’t actually contain any butter. Opps! I used jam instead but you could of course use butter too!Print
A super quick and easy chocolate and strawberry bread and butter pudding on the table in 5 minutes!
- 100g bread (I used crusty bread but any will do)
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar / sweetener
- 100ml milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- strawberries to garnish
- Spread the strawberry jam onto the bread and then cut or tear it into bite size pieces.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a jug and then stir in the milk and vanilla extract.
- Put half of the bread pieces into a microwaveable jar or large mug, pour in half the egg mixture and sprinkle half the chocolate chips on top. Repeat this process again with the bread, egg mixture and chocolate chips until the jar or mug is 3/4 full. The bread will expand while cooking so do not fill to the top!
- Microwave for 90 seconds. My microwave is 800 watt so you may need to adjust your cooking time to your own microwave.
**WARNING** This recipe obviously contains egg and, although it is cooked in the microwave, it is not cooked for a long time so pregnant women and anyone else who has been advised to be careful with semi or lightly cooked eggs need to consider this when making this recipe.