A super speedy recipe for lasagne ready in just 30 minutes. Perfect for mid week meals!
Lasagne has to be one of the most requested meals in my house. Everyone loves it; my fussy eater, the baby and my husband. It makes my life so much easier knowing that everyone is going to eat the dinner I have prepared without any of the usual “I don’t liiiiiike it” dramas!
That all said, the one major problem with lasagne is the amount of cooking involved, not to mention the millions of pans you end up using and having to wash up afterwards (lazy mum alert!) So with this in mind I have been working on making a super speedy lasagne recipe with minimal cooking wash up required.
Before you read the recipe I have to mention a massive big fat disclaimer on this. This is not and will never be an authentic Italian recipe. I am sure Italian foodies out there will recoil in horror at some of my ingredients and methods but the idea is to make this dish as quick and easy to prepare and cook as possible so only read on if you are ok with that!
Ok, so disclaimers aside what makes this recipe so quick and easy to prepare? Firstly, I keep the sauce very simple and I cook the minced beef on high so that this part of the recipe is over and done with in 10 minutes.
I use frozen vegetables in the sauce. This bulks it out a bit and adds some extra nutrients to the dish. And because they are already peeled and chopped it saves me a tonne of time.
Next, I save even more time and an extra pot to wash up by using creme fraiche rather than making a classic bechamel sauce. Yes, sacrilege to the traditional lasagne but it really works!
Lastly, I cook the lasagne in a very high oven. Getting that mince mixture bubbling up will cook the lasagne sheets in super speedy time. It will also give you that lovely crispy cheesy topping – the best bit!
For more mid week meals in 30 minutes or less check out these recipes:
Pasta with Basil and a Savoury Rhubarb Sauce from Recipes From A Pantry
Spaghetti Carbonara Frittata from Foodie Quine
Quick Tomato Sauce with Seaweed from Tin and Thyme
Quick Chicken, Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry from Nosebag NI
A super speedy lasagne recipe ready in just 30 minutes. Perfect for mid week meals!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g / 18oz minced beef
- 400g / 14 oz chopped tomatoes (the tinned variety)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp oregano
- 100ml / 3.5 fl oz hot water
- 150g / 5oz frozen vegetables
- 8 dried lasagne sheets
- 150ml / 5oz creme fraiche
- 75g / 2.5oz grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220c / 420f.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or large saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes before adding the crushed garlic. Fry for another minute and then add the minced beef.
- At this point I turn the heat up high to brown the mince as quickly as possible. Stir regularly to ensure it doesn’t stick or burn.
- Once the meat has browned add the chopped tomatoes and crumble in the stock cube. Add the oregano and frozen vegetables and finally add the water (you can add more water if it seems too dry).
- Stir until everything is well combined and continue to cook on high for approximately 7 minutes. Once the mince mixture has cooked remove from the heat and start to assemble your lasagne.
- I used a 8in x 8in dish which nicely fits two lasagne sheets side by side but you can use any dish you wish.
- Assemble the lasagne by alternating layers of the minced beef mixture and the lasagne sheets, finishing with a lasagne sheet layer on top. Spoon on the creme fraiche and spread it over the top of the lasagne.
- Finally add the grated cheese and put the lasagne in the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 200c / 400f and bake for 15 minutes. You can test to make sure the lasagne sheets have cooked by sticking in a sharp knife.
- Serve immediately with a green salad or mixed vegetables.